Why Credit Cards are Good
I went to see Coldplay in Atlanta with 4 friends (plus 1 girlfriend). We decided to rent a roomy Toyota Sequoia for the 4 hour drive.
- Coldplay was awesome
- Chris Martin dancing like a child
- Every track on Viva la Vida was played
- 4 hour drive to Atlanta
- Tough to imbibe considering the return drive
- Some thug tried to break into the rental car (luckily nothing was stolen)
- Progressive decides not to cover the damage
- Damages amount to $2409.16
- Rental company promptly charges said amount to credit card
I tried negotiating with Progressive and the rental company; all of my attempts were in vain. I was forced to pay the damages. So I googled like a mother looking for some way to get out of paying the charges.
Fortunately, I used my credit card and little did I know that Visa covers damage to rental cars even if you decline rental insurance and your automobile insurance doesn't cover it. I filled out a couple forms, faxed them to Mr. Visa, and weeks later I receive this:
Q: If I used a debit card, would I have received the same type of coverage?
A: No. I bite my thumb at you Dave Ramsey.