Marcus Buckingham was all-the-rage a few years back. He landed on the map after writing a NY Times Bestseller, Now Discover Your Strengths. It was "ok" in my opinion.
Summary: you are really good at a few things. Focus on those core strengths and delegate your weaknesses.
To find your strengths, the book offers a exhaustive personality test. I believe the test has been refined since Buckingham, check out StrengthsFinder 2.0.
If you're familiar with Myer-Briggs - I'm an ENFP. I've met other ENFPs before; in the StrengthsFinder test, your results/profile are supposedly completely unique. I have yet to meet another person who has the same top 5 strengths as me. Here are mine:
- Deliberative - People strong in the Deliberative theme are best described by the serious care they take in making decisions or choices. They anticipate the obstacles.
- Competition - People strong in the Competition theme measure their progress against the performance of others. They strive to win first place and revel in contests.
- Relator - People who are strong in the Relator theme enjoy close relationships with others. They find deep satisfaction in working hard with friends to achieve a goal.
- Significance - People strong in the Significance theme want to be very important in the eyes of others. They are independent and want to be recognized.
- Belief - People strong in the Belief theme have certain core values that are unchanging. Out of these values emerges a defined purpose for their life.
What strength do you think most identifies me? What are your top 5?